Uses of Fluorine:
- Fluorine is used in the manufacture of a series of compounds known as freons. These non-toxic, non-combustible and volatile liquids are used as refrigerants in refrigerators, deep freezers and air conditioners. The most common, freon is known as dichlorodifluoro methane CF2 Cl2.
- CaF2 is used as flux in metallurgy.
- NaF is used as a preservative to prevent fermentation and also for preventing dental cavities.
- SF6 is used as an insulating material in high voltage equipment.
- Teflon is used as container to store hydrofluoric acid.
- UF6 is used in the separation of U235 from U238.