Uses of Chromium
- Chromium is used in making chrome steel, which is very hard, tough and contain various proportions of chromium.
- In making stainless steel – (12 – 18%) Cr, (1%) C and rest iron, does not rust and is used in making cutlery, turbine blades, valves, etc.
- In making nichrome (Chromel) – 60% Ni, 15% Cr and 25% Fe, which is used as resistance wire in heaters and in electric furnace since it is not oxidized at high temperature by air.
- Chromium plating is used on cars and bicycles, produces a smooth, silver finish that is highly resistant to corrosion.
- Chromium plating can be used to give a polished mirror finish to steel.
- Also used as a catalyst.