Chlorine is used,
- As a bleaching agent for yarn, textiles, paper pulp etc.
- For sterilization or chlorination of drinking water (water treatment).
- For the manufacture of hydrochloric acid by synthesis method.
- For the preparation of many inorganic compounds, such as chlorides of metals, chlorides of non-metals (e.g., HCl, PCl2, PCl6,) and bleaching powder (Ca(OCl)Cl).
- For the synthesis of many organic compounds including dyes, drugs, antiseptics, insecticides, plastic pipes and polymers such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) etc.
- As an oxidizing agent and laboratory reagent for qualitative analysis.
- For the extraction of metals like silver, gold, platinum etc.