Electronic commerce, commonly known as E-commerce, is trading in products or services using computer networks, such as the Internet.
Electronic commerce draws on technologies such as mobile commerce, electronic funds transfer, supply chain management, Internet marketing, online transaction processing, electronic data interchange (EDI), inventory management systems, and automated data collection systems.
There are many reasons for using mainframe as servers for e-commerce. These are as follows –
- Most critical business data may already be stored on the mainframe.
- Mainframe scalability can handle growing internet traffic.
- Mainframe applications were designed to work within clients such as NetPCs and NCs.
- Built-in mainframe security can be combined with a new cryptographic coprocessor and upcoming firewall capabilities.
- Data is safer on the mainframe than on many servers.
- Internet tools are integrated right into the mainframe’s operating system.
- New mainframe offers huge savings in size, energy, and maintenance.