An operating system is an integrated system of programs that manages the operation of the CPU. Control the input or output and storage resources and activities of the computer system, and provides various support services as the computer executives the application program of users. It is the most important program that runs on a computer. Every general-purpose computer must have an operating system to run other programs and applications. The operating system is also responsible for security, ensuring that unauthorized users do not access the system.
Classification of Operating systems
- Multi-user: Allows two or more users to run programs at the same time. Some operating systems permit hundreds or even thousands of concurrent users.
- Multiprocessing: Supports running a program on more than one CPU.
- Multitasking: Allows more than one program to run concurrently.
- Multithreading: Allows different parts of a single program to run concurrently.
- Real-time: Response to input instantly.