The survey is a record of the area and features of (an area of land) so as to construct a map, plan, or description.
The key steps in a sample survey: Typically, a sample survey consists of the following steps:
- Define the target population:
In defining the target population the important terms should be carefully and unambiguously defined. The target population may be divided into various segments which may have different characteristics.
- Selecting the sampling scheme and sample size:
There are several sampling schemes: simple random sampling, cluster sampling, sequential sampling etc. from these a sampling scheme is to be selected.
- Develop the questionnaire:
The questionnaire is the principal instrument for eliciting information from the sample respondents. Since the quality of the questionnaire has an important bearing on the result of the market survey, the question is should be made in the light of problems.
- Recruit and train the field investigators:
Recruiting and training of field investigators must be planned well once it can be time-consuming.
- Obtain information as per the questionnaire from the sample of respondents:
Respondents may be interviewed personally, telephonically, or by mail for obtaining information personal interview ensure a high rate of response.
- Scrutinize the information gathered:
Information gathered should be thoroughly scrutinized to estimate date which is internally inconsistent and which is of dubious validity.
- Analyze and interpret the information: Information gathered in the survey needs to be analyzed and interpreted with care and imagination.