Differences between Business or Commercial Letter and Personal Letter
The purposes of busies and personal letters are completely different. So they differ from each other on various grounds. The prime grounds of their distinctions are mentioned below.
- Nature: The Commercial letter is impersonal and universal in one. Generally, it contains business-related information.
- Purpose: This letter is written for exchanging various business related information.
- Scope: Since it can contain various types of business information, its scope is vast and wide.
- Use of Structure: The Business letter is written by strictly following officially recognized structure, rules, and procedures.
- Size: Generally, the size of the business letter is concise as it avoids irrelevant matters.
- Classification: Business letter can be categorized differently.
- Salutation: Specific salutations such as Mr., Sir, Dear sir, Dear madam etc. are used to open the description of the letter. Use of salutation depends on the formal relationship between sender and receiver.
- Language: No emotional or poetic language can be used in the business letter. Its language should be straightforward, easy, simple and courteous.
- The form of drafting: In most cases, the business letter is drafted in typewritten or composed form.
- Attachment of enclosure: If necessary, enclosures are attached to the business letter.
- Copy: Copy of business letter is generally preserved and if necessary also sent to others.
- Nature: Its orientation is personal. It contains personal or family related information.
- Purpose: The purpose of this letter is to exchange personal or family related information.
- Scope: It contains only personal information. So its scope is limited as compared to the business letter.
- Use of Structure: It does not follow any recognized structure, rule or procedure.
- Size: The size of the personal letter may be concise or large.
- Classification: Generally, it is not categorized.
- Salutation: Here salutation depends on the personal relationship between sender and receiver. Generally, Respected, Dear friends, Dear etc. are used as a salutation in the personal letter.
- Language: Here emotional, poetic and sweet words are used to arrange message.
- The form of drafting: It is generally drafted in handwritten form.
- Attachment of enclosure: No need to attach any enclosure here.
- Copy: Its copy is not normally preserved and no copy is sent to other.