An information system can be defined as a set of the coordinated network of components. which act together towards producing, distributing and or processing information. An important characteristic of computer-based IS information is precision, which may not apply to other types. So, the purpose of an IS is to turn raw data into useful information that can be used for decision making in an organization.
Components or resources of Information system: An information system consists of five major resources or components. These are as follows:-
(1) People resources or main resources: People are required for the operation of all information system these people resources include end user and information system, specialist.
(2) Hardware resources: Hardware resources include all physical devices and materials used in information processing. For example, Computer system, computer peripherals.
(3) Software resources: Software resources include all sets of information processing instructions. These generic concepts of software include not only programs but also procedures that people need.
(4) Data resources: data resources are more than the raw materials of the information system. Data are lifeblood today’s organizations and the effective and efficient management of data is considered an integral part of an organizational strategy.
(5) Network resources: Telecommunication technology and networks are fundamental components of all information system. Network resources include communication media network infrastructure.