An information system can be defined as a set of the coordinated network of components. which act together towards producing, distributing and or processing information. An important characteristic of computer-based information systems information is precision, which may not apply to other types. So, the purpose of an information system is to turn raw data into useful information that can be used for decision making in an organization.
Information System has the following challenges:
- New skills: There is a need for a more, differentiated set of skills in the process of developing information systems. New types of skills are needed. Systems analysts and programmers are no longer a sufficient partitioning of “workers” in a development project. It is a challenge to identify these skills as well’as to provide them with adequate training.
- Methods and techniques: Most, if not all system development methods do. hardlY address the issue that the kinds of problems we most often are tackling are “wicked”. Most method research deals with development (or re-development) of formal description techniques with a high expressive power for describing things which can be formally described.
- Informality: Many IT development projects deal today with engineering or re-engineering of business processes and with providing adequate IT-support for the processes. The development process can, in its initial stages.
- Maintenance: A key problem for management information systems is the provision of the raw data input and the maintenance of up-to-date information, Your company already generates data on sales, revenue, expenses, payments and other fundamental business information. Marketing departments often have additional databases.
- Use: Usability is a major problem for management information systems. A powerful system perfect for the data of your company is wasted if your employees don’t use it.
- Changes: An important management information system characteristic is the ability to adapt to changes in your company. The available information may change, the reports you want may vary and often the personnel using the system changes.