Business process re-engineering: Business process re-engineering is a fundamental re-thinking and radical design of the business process to achieve dramatic improvement in cost, quality, speed, and service. So business process re-engineering combines a strategy of promoting business innovation with a strategy of making a major improvement to business so that a company can become a must stranger and more successful competition in the marketplace. It is the process of restructuring a company’s organization and methods, especially so as to exploit the capabilities of computers. An important goal of BPR is to analyze workflows within and between enterprises in order to optimize end-to-end processes and eliminate tasks that do not provide the customer with value.
Business Process Reengineering is a dramatic change initiative that contains five major steps that managers should take:
- Refocus company values on customer needs
- Redesign core processes, often using information technology to enable improvements
- Reorganize a business into cross-functional teams with end-to-end responsibility for a process
- Rethink basic organizational and people issues
- Improve business processes across the organization.