ICBN is the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature or the principles of naming of different plants that are internationally accepted.
The principles of scientific name according to ICBN is-
- Every plant or animal should have a scientific name which has two parts genus & species.
- First part of the scientific name will indicate the generic name and second part will indicate the species name of a plant or animal.
- If it is written in typed letter it must be italicized.
- Scientific name must be written in Latin.
- If scientific name is hand written, genus and species must be underlined separately.
- First letter of the genus part will be of a capital letter for it is an adjective and the species part will begin with a small letter for it is a noun. Such as- Thea sinensis
- The person who will first introduce the scientific name of a plant, his name can be added after the scientific name. such as- Panthera leo Linn
- The first published name in the scientific journal must be accepted