Skin: The organs that make up our body are covered with skins to protect them from diseases or external injury. Skin acts as the covering of our body. Skin has two layers-epidermis and endodermis.
- Epidermis: This is the outer layer of the skin. The skin of palm and sole is thick and the skin of lip is thin. Hair and nails outgrows from epidermis. Epidermis has hair follicles. The deepest part of the epidermis also contains melanocytes. These cells produce melanin, which gives the skin its color.
- Endodermis: There are blood vessels and nerves in the endodermis. It also contains sweat glands, oil glands, sebaceous glands and hair root. The number of sebaceous glands is in palm and sole is greater.
Functions of skin:
Skin performs the following functions.
- Protects the soft part of the body from external injury, hot, sunshine, cold etc.
- Prevents microbes from getting into the body.
- Keeps the body cool and healthy through sweating
- Expels harmful substances from the body.
- Protects the body from harmful sun rays
Taking care of skin
The skin makes the outer covering of our body. Things that we need to do to take care of our skin are:
- Taking bath regularly to avoid infection of skin dandruff, scabies etc.
- Avoiding using other’s towels, cleaning ones towels and napkins with hot water and soap after one or two days.
- Consulting a doctor if any skin diseases such as scabies, ring worm etc. occur. Do not use any ointment without consulting a doctor.