Importance of the osmosis is Plant Life
- Water absorption: Plants absorb water from the soil through osmosis.
- Diffusion: Diffusion of water from one cell to another is also regulated by osmosis.
- The equal distribution of water: The equal distribution of water to different organs such as leaf, stem, root etc is mainly performed by osmosis.
- Turgidity of Cells: Osmosis is responsible for turgidity of cells.
- Regulation of the rate of transpiration: Osmosis actively participates, in regulating the rate of transpiration.
- Dispersion of fruits and seeds: Osmosis indirectly helps in the dispersion of fruits and seeds.
- Movement of different organs: The movement of different organs of plants such as- the opening and closing of stomata of leaves is dependent on osmosis.
- Self Defense: Plants can stand against the adverse condition of the environment like drought, salinity, snow falling due to the increase of osmotic pressure.
- The growth of plant body: Osmosis indirectly helps in cell division by creating turgidity which results from the growth of the plant body.