General characteristics of Gene:
- Gene is present within the chromosome and it is an unseparable part of a chromosome.
- Gene consists of Nucleic acid
- A gene contains 1500 nucleotides approximately
- The chemical structure of one gene does not influence on the chemical structure of other chromosomes
- Number of genes in a chromosome is uncountable.
- The genes of a particular chromosome are arranged by a particular method The particular place where the genes arc situated is known as locus
- The volume of a gent may be about 1.20µ.
- A gene is capable of self-reproducing, without any change of characteristics. By this way, replication is performed during minus’s cell division
- The new generation inherits the characteristics from their parents due to the transfer of genes.