Functions of lipid:
Fats and oils (Triglyceroids):
- Fats and oils are stored in plant bodies as reserve foods
- They are received as food in oilseeds (Mustard, Soybean etc.) during germination.
- More ATP is produced during the reduction of fats and oils.
- Phospholipids are used as the different membrane building materials (such as- Mitochondria, chloroplast etc.) of plant cells.
- They regulate the permeability and conduction process of cells.
- They help in blood clotting.
Glycolipid: They play an important role in the photosynthesis of plants
- Terpentine is used in varnish works
- They are used in manufacturing tyres for vehicles
Wax lipid creates a layer (cuticle) around the epidermis of sterns and leaves and resists the excessive and transpiration.