Economic Importance of E Coli Bacteria
1) E coli bacteria break down glucose and lactose to form acid and gas by fermentation
2) In human intestine, E coli bacteria make vitamin K and vitamin B complex
3) Some sorts of E coli bacteria are used in preparing recombinant D.N.A By this, different hormones, vaccines and medicines can be made (e.g. Hunun insulin)
4) Normally they do not cause any disease in the intestine. But some species of bacteria, in the special condition, cause disease in the human body, such as- Diarrhea of children, Septicaemia. Peritonitis, Maningitis, Pneumonia, Urinary tract infection etc.
5) Presence of them in food and water indicates the pollution of food and water.
6) They are used in preparing antibiotics in laboratories.