Characteristics of Meiosis:
- Usually meiosis in reproductive mother cells of the diploid organism
- In this type of cell division, nucleus divides twice but chromosome divides once
- Since Prophase-1 is a lengthy process it can be divided into five sub-phases.
- Homologous chromosomes form bi-valent by making pairs (synapsis).
- The genetic exchange occurs because of the formation of chiasma and crossing over.
- Four haploid daughter cells are formed.
- Chromosome gets the different arrangement.
- The daughter cells are formed in this process due to crossing over and different arrangement of the chromosome is not identical in Properties. This is very significant in the formation of varieties.