Comparison between the Dicot Root and Monocot Root
- Vascular bundles are open and Diarch to hexarch
- Pith generally small or absent
- In Cambium form conjunctive tissue becomes meristematic and results in secondary growth
- Pericycle may give rise to cork cambium and lateral branches
- Example: Beans
- Vascular bundles are polyarch closed
- Pith generally quite large
- In Cambium form conjunctive tissue does not become a meristem and complete absence of secondary growth.
- Pericycle may give rise to only lateral branches.
- Example: Canna