Characteristics of mitosis:
Mitosis is a process where a single cell divides into two identical daughter cells (cell division). Since mitosis occurs in somatic cells, it is also known as somatic cell division.
- Each chromosome divides vertically into two daughter chromosome (chromatids). Each of the two newly formed daughter chromosomes reaches to opposite poles producing two daughter nuclei. So chromosomal number remains same in each of the two daughter nuclei.
- The daughter cells have the same properties of their mother cells.
- Chromosomal number for both daughter cells and mother cell remain equal.
- The daughter cell grows to become more or less similar in volume.
- After fusion of male and female gametes zygote is formed. Mitosis is responsible for development of a zygote into adult organism.
- Mitosis is essential for normal growth and development of living organisms. It gives a definite shape to a specific organism.
- In plants, mitosis leads to formation of new parts, viz., roots, leaves, stems and branches. It also helps in repairing of damaged parts.