Importance of Material Control System
Material control is the main component of the process of material management. Control over materials is of utmost importance for smooth and uninterrupted functioning of an organization. It can be defined as a systematic control over purchasing, storing and consumption of materials.
In a productive undertaking the need for materials control arises on account of the following reasons:
- For keeping the stock of raw materials within limits in the stores i.e., to avoid overstocking and under-stocking of raw materials, materials control is significant.
- It ensures proper storage of materials. For the proper preservation and safety of materials, adequate storage facilities are to be provided. With the help of proper storing of materials, quantity of materials as and when required can be issued to various jobs.
- For knowing the proper cost of production, control over materials is indispensable.
- Certain techniques and methods are developed under the system of materials control thereby ensuring optimum utilization of materials.
- In order to undertake continuous checking of materials, the necessity of a proper system of materials control cannot be ignored.
- A well-managed system of materials control ensures the availability of different kinds of materials without delay.
- There should be a proper co-operation and co-ordination among the departments dealing with material purchasing, receiving, testing, storing, production planning and accounting.
Material control helps to maintain a regular and timely supply of materials by avoiding over and under-stocking. As already, pointed out while .explaining the scope of material management that it includes purchases of materials storekeeping and inventory control etc.