Characteristics of the phylum Phaeophyta:
1) They are composed of Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic cells
2) They are mainly marine, only four or five species are fresh water living.
3) They are multicellular filamentous and complex in nature
4) They are brown in colour because brown pigments are more in the cells than other pigments
5) Polysaccharides and alcohol are stored as reserve food
6) Alternation of generation is found in most of the species
7) Their gametes or zoospores have flagella of different sizes.